Explore Melghat Tiger Reserve
“Come to Melghat, Come home to Nature”
Melghat Tiger Reserve is located on the southern offshoot of the Satpura Hill Range in Central India. It was established as a wildlife sanctuary in 1967, and was declared a tiger reserve in 1974. It was among the first nine tiger reserves notified in 1973-74 under Project Tiger, a wildlife conservation project initiated in India in 1972 to protect Bengal tigers. It was the first tiger reserve of Maharashtra. It is still one of the biggest tiger reserves in the country in terms of area. The name ‘Melghat’ means the confluence of various ‘ghats’ or valleys as is typical from the landscape of this tiger Reserve.
The endangered and ‘back from extinction’ Forest Owlet is also found in various areas of Melghat.
The forests of Melghat are predominately inhabited by Korku tribes who pose the best example of how to live a sustainable living in the vicinity of forests. They have a sense of belongingness to these forests and that is why, it has still retained its serenity.
Tourism in Melghat is distributed along 4 centres/villages. Semadoh, Chikhaldara, Harisal & Shahnur. Tourists can explore Melghat in all seasons but the monsoons starting mid July till end of September offers the best views. The winters are cold with night temperature dropping below 5 degrees. The summers are good for animal sightings.
Major Attraction in Bor Tiger Reserve
Forest Owlet, Tiger, Sloth Bear, Leopard, Flying Squirrels, , Striped Hynea, Wild Dogs, Nilgai, Sambhar Deer, Indian Gaur, Spotted Deer, Barking Deer, Wild Boar, Langoors, and many beautiful birds (Aprox 325 Species).
Where to Stay and Safari Entry Gate of Melghat Tiger Reserve
Accommodation facilities in Melghat are mostly run by forest department except the hotels and resorts at Chikhaldara which are operated by private. Facilities are comfortable and basic in nature suiting the forest atmosphere where it is located.
- Recommended Resorts: Forest Cottages Semadhoh Sankul, Kolkas Forest Rest House,
- Jungle Safari Gate Access: Semadhoh.
Shahanur near Akot:
- Recommended Resorts: Shahanur Eco Huts, Tents and Dormitory.
- Jungle Safari Gate Access: Dhargad/Shahanur, Wan/Zari.
Kolkas near Semadhol:
- Recommended Resorts: Kolkas forest rest house.
- Jungle Safari Gate Access: Semadhoh and Harisal.
- Recommended Resorts: Harisal Forest rest house and cottages.
- Jungle Safari Gate Access: Harisal.
- Recommended Resorts: MTDC Resorts, Satpura Resort, Harshwardan Resort, Shankarmuni Resort, Sayali. Paras Resort
- Jungle Safari Gate Access: Chikaldhara/Vairat.
- Note: At Ambabarwa/ Wasali no accommodation is available.
- Forest Outlet: Recommended to stay at Semadhoh and Harisal.
Nearest ATM: Paratwada and Akot.
Mobile Services: Idea very weak singnals.
Tiger Explore around Melghat Reserve
- Chikhaldhara Hill Station.
- Muktagiri Jain Temple
- Narnala Fort. Safari from Shahanur.
- Nature Trails and Nature Trek.
- Paras Adventure Sports. ( Paragliding etc .. Private Supplier).
- Shahanur Adventure Sport. (Forest Department)
- Dahi Rabdi at Semadhoh.
How to Reach
By Air: Nagpur is 250 Kms
By Rail: Amravati is 100 Kms. Akola is 45 kms Shahanur Gate.
By Road: Nagpur is 250 Kms . Paratwada to Semadhoh: 45 Kms. Paratwada to Chikaldhara: 35Kms.